Friday, March 5, 2010

Questioning the Questioner

At a certain point during Q&A of every in-house panel I've attended an audience member will stand up and ask some form of, ".....BUT how do I get your business?"
In-house attorneys always respond in a measured tone but I'm left wondering if the audience has been listening to the preceeding 90 minutes of discussion that included a myriad of ideas like: give me something I need to do my business better, communicate effectively, network.
Instead of just wondering, I am exploring the idea of throwing the questions back at the questioner. The Socratic Method: Leveraging Questions to Increase Performance offers a nice explanation of putting these types of questions to work in the leadership of your law firm (Bonus! There's also a case study).
A sample: "Although leadership is about moving people, the simple truth is that nobody moves anywhere unless they move themselves. The Socratic Method is a way to help people see when they need to move, and where they need to move to."

No comments:

Post a Comment